This video is part of a Healthy Teaching Kitchen series to promote healthy eating habits and provide an example of a lower sodium recipe.
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 25 minutes | Total: 40 minutes
Yield: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup
• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cans (14 ounces each) low sodium chicken broth
• 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
• 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) low sodium great northern beans, drained, rinsed
• Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional garnish
• Cilantro, optional garnish
1. In a Dutch oven or large soup pan, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion and sauté until lightly browned.
2. Stir in broth, beans, chiles, cumin, oregano, allspice, and cayenne; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Top each serving with a sprinkle of cheese and cilantro, if desired.
5. Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories: 194| Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1.2g | Sodium: 408mg | Total Carbohydrate: 10.5g | Dietary Fiber: 1.7g | Protein: 23.2g
Adapted from Taste of Home Test Kitchen | Submitted by MVAMC Nutrition & Food
Video made by:
, Carla Schulte,
#HealthyTeachingKitchen #Veterans #Food